🦆 Soy sauce braised duck and tofu
Should you purchase a duck and it comes with a bag of its innards, do not throw it away! It really works rather well on this recipe braised in darkish soy.
🦆Story of the ugly duckling:
This was a utility grade duck that I bought frozen from No Frills for $10! I had by no means heard of utility grade duck earlier than.. However actually all it means is that it could have some notable imperfections (i.e. pores and skin tears or lacking components). My duck had a bent wing, that is all. I can safely say that I did not discover any distinction in style or texture.
What you will want:
half of complete duck
6 slices ginger
Three cloves garlic
2 sticks cinnamon
Four star anise
1 tbsp complete black peppercorn
Three tbsp chopped frozen lemon grass
1 tbsp brown sugar
half of cup lkkusa darkish soy sauce
5 cups water (or extra to cowl duck)
1 pack fried tofu (non-compulsory)
1. Warmth a tbsp of impartial oil over medium and toast your ginger slices, garlic, and dried spices till aromatic ~1 minute.
2. Add in water, darkish soy, lemongrass, brown sugar and produce to a boil.
3. Add in your duck, complete, with its innards and simmer on low warmth for about 1.5hours.
4. If utilizing tofu, add it within the final 30 minutes.
5. Use a cleaver to cut up the duck to serve.
I solely used half a duck right here as I used the opposite half for one more recipe.. So you could want to regulate the quantity of liquid should you’re utilizing an entire duck. Simply add extra water to make sure that it covers. Monitor the water degree to make sure the duck is submerged, you could want so as to add some water round 30 minutes to an hour into the cook dinner.