🌰 Water chestnut cake
糕 (🔊 go) means cake in Chinese language and sounds the identical as 高 which suggests tall/excessive. The greeting I selected needs you shifting up increased and better, symbolizing recurring promotions at work! (🙏sure, please!)
There are all types of “truffles” which might be eaten for chinese language new yr and the water chestnut cake it simply one in all my favourites. Who can neglect the favored pan fried radish cake and my private favorite, the candy glutinous rice flour cake (年糕 – I will have this on the weekend) ❤️
Tried to make this myself with recent water chestnuts and water chestnut flour however I could not fairly get the feel proper. It tasted the half however was a bit extra dense and never as delicate/chewy as ordinary. Might be that I attempted to transform a recipe that makes use of weights to cups 😭
Anyway, right here is the recipe I ed! If anybody has tips about this… Please share 🙏
What you will want:
125g water chestnut flour
10 recent water chestnuts, peeled and diced
2 slabs sugar 片糖 (or sub for brown sugar)
1. Soak flour with 150ml for 10 minutes.
2. Convey 550ml water to a mild boil & slowly soften the slab sugar.
3. When the sugar is absolutely melted, add in chopped water chestnut and convey to a boil.
4. Pour the soaked flour right into a sq. pan that may match into your steamer.
5. Stir within the sugar water combination and the combination will get fairly thick.
6. Steam for 20 minutes or till the cake turns clear. Let it cool after which reduce into slices to serve.
I additionally prefer to pan fry them with a little bit of impartial oil and serve sizzling.